MAGNESIUM AND SULFUR BOOST
Photosynthesis is the process whereby the chlorophyll in the leaves converts sunshine and CO2 into sugars. It is the basis of ALL plant growth. No Magnesium, no chlorophyll, no photosynthesis. Sulfur aids in the formation of chlorophyll.
MAGNUM is our high potency Magnesium/Sulfur boost that will ensure an ample supply of Magnesium and Sulfur for chlorophyll synthesis.
Magnesium deficiency is the MOST common cause of poor yields besides overfeeding.
The primary symptom of Magnesium deficiency is premature yellowing or interveinal fading of leaves. Sulfur deficiency is characterized by the fading of the veins.
Once yellowing is visible, CO2 consumption has slowed. That affects flower development.
- The most common cause of Magnesium deficiency is the high Potassium/Phosphorus levels of bloom boosters.
- A secondary cause is overfeeding Calcium
If you are using Deep Breath to accelerate CO2 uptake, or you are using CO2 enrichment, the increased growth rate you expect to see will not happen if you have a Magnesium deficiency. Plants grown under normal CO2 will be even more impaired.
CAL-MAG IS NOT THE ANSWER
- NO Cal-Mag product on the market contains sulfur
- Magnesium and Sulfur deficiencies almost always occur together
- Chlorophyll formation requires BOTH Magnesium and Sulfur
EXCESS CALCIUM CAN CAUSE MAGNESIUM/SULFUR DEFICIENCY
Calcium and Magnesium are transported through the plant by similar pathways so the ratio of Calcium/Magnesium is important. The higher the ratio of Calcium to Magnesium the more the transport of Magnesium is impaired.
- The proportion of Calcium to Magnesium in Cal-Mag products is way too high.
- High Calcium levels “LOCK-UP” Sulfur which is necessary for the formation of Chlorophyll.
- Most Cal-Mags are loaded with Nitrogen (check the label) so you’re adding a “grow” nutrient right in the middle of bloom.
Remember, the Micro part of all 3 part base nutrient lines is loaded with Calcium so adding a Cal-Mag can lead to problems. We’ve actually seen a Cal-Mag product worsen a Magnesium and Sulfur deficient plant.